A number of colleagues have requested that this should be available here. I hope it proves useful...
The teacher seeks to establish good relationships to sustain the class
• How do the children greet the teacher? Is there eye contact (a handshake?)
• Has the teacher established presence in the classroom?
• What is the mood of the class like?
• Do the children seem secure (know routine, place &c.)?
• Are the relationships between children positive (do members of the class use put-downs, are there “Cinderella” children)? Are all children encouraged & respected?
• Are good manners encouraged?
• Do the children listen appropriately to one another?
• Is there enthusiasm & receptivity?
• Are there moments of spontaneity?
The teacher seeks to establish good work habits & rhythm in the teaching
• Is there a balance in the lesson between the initiative of the teacher & initiative of the children?
• Are members of the class encouraged to ask questions?
• Do the children raise their hands or are there other ways to indicate the need for help that the class uses?
• Do class members know what they should do if they need to visit the loo during lesson time, is this non-disruptive?
• Do children react to educational challenges readily?
• Is their flow & pace in the lesson?
• How is recall worked with?
• Are rhythmic, thinking & will activities present during the lesson & do these support the learning process?
• Does the teacher make time to observe & monitor the way the class is working?
• Are there laughter & levity, seriousness & reflection during the lesson?
• Do all children achieve something during the lesson?
• Are achievements celebrated?
• At the end of the lesson is there a moment when the breathing of the class seems to have deepened?
• Does the lesson have a beginning, middle & end & are class members aware of this?
• Is the room tidy & cared for?
• How are the children involved in caring for their surroundings?
The teacher seeks to help the class strive for the highest standards in their learning
• Is the learning appropriate to the age & ability of the children?
• Is the quality of work in the children’s books of appropriate?
• Is the quality of music, artistic work, speech & movement &c. appropriate?
• Does the teacher provide a good example & are techniques & skills actively taught to the class?
• Are the lessons well researched & is the teaching lively?
• Does the teacher follow-up homework, corrections &c?
• Is there individual expression in the children’s work & contributions?
• Does the teacher provide an example of “being a learner”?
• Are the class skills appropriate to their age & ability?
The teacher seeks to imbue the teaching with artistic qualities & sets an appropriate example for the class
• How is the quality of the temperaments worked with during the lesson?
• Is there sufficient movement in the lesson?
• Are blackboard illustrations, writing, classroom details & set-up (e.g. season table &c.) appropriate, attractive & functional
• Does the lesson have inner coherence?
• Does the teacher seek to frame instruction in the form of narrative & imagery?
• Is there idealism in the lesson?
The teacher seeks to handle difficulties with equanimity& is consequential
• Does the teacher draw attention to positive behaviour?
• How are breaches of good behaviour handled – do such breaches adversely affect the class as a whole?
• Do class members try to maintain norms of good behaviour among themselves?
• Does the teacher maintain a good stance & affective use of the voice?
The teacher seeks the achieve high standards of professionalism & collegiality
• Is there a year plan, block plan & lesson plan?
• Do the latter indicate learning objectives?
• Are appropriate records of the children’s learning kept?
• Do lessons start on time?
• Is the teacher’s self-presentation appropriate?
• Is the teacher open to advice?
• Does the teacher seek to learn new skills & increase competence?
• Willing to help others?
• Willing to take on essential non-teaching duties?
• And able to discriminate about non-essential ones? (!)
• Including ability to say, “No”, when necessary (priorities & balance)
• Does the teacher communicate with colleagues, Trustees & parents openly?
• Does the teacher promote good-will among colleagues?
• Is the teacher accessible to parents? (Class evenings &c.)
• Does the teacher communicate learning goals & other important information with parents?
• Is there evidence of a striving to develop spiritual insight through the tasks undertaken?